We started by making our own predictions on which marshmallow shape we felt would be represented the most in our box. Each of us then tweeted our prediction to our partner class for this project, Mrs DeGroot's class in IA. The kids were so excited to see and read Mrs. DeGroot's class' predictions when they came through on our class Twitter feed. What an engaging and simple way for us to connect.
In the afternoon we opened our box, sorted, graphed, and ate the results. We had a great discussion about which had the most, the least etc.
Later in the afternoon we made a Skype call to Mrs. DeGroot's class in IA and shared and compared our results with theirs. We recorded their results for more discussion later but as we compared each class had to decide if they had more or less than the other class and then put their hands on their head if they had more or hands on their shoulders if they had less.
When we were done Skyping, we spent a bit of time locating our buddy class on the map and discussing their location in relation to ours. Just another great integration piece.
Adding the technology component truly was the highlight and really made the project come to life. The learning and collaborating that came out of that piece was far more powerful than the graphing alone.
Here are the results from all the classes that participated as of 3/19 (this is a global project).
We didn't prove our hypothesis at this point, but what a great discussion to have with kiddos on the scientific process and their rational for why things turned out the way they did.
Results as of March 19, 2014
As a GROUP -- we will be trying to prove that there are more GREEN CLOVERS than any other shape